Friday, March 11, 2011
Mother Nature Speaks
“And the 8.9–magnitude quake, which struck at 2:46 p.m. local time, prompted the U.S. National Weather Service to issue a tsunami warning for at least 50 countries and territories.
It also sparked fires in at least 80 locations, Kyodo news reported.
Its epicenter was offshore 373 kilometers (231 miles) away from Tokyo, the United States Geological Survey said.
But residents there continued to feel aftershocks hours after the quake. More than 30 aftershocks followed, with the strongest measuring 7.1.
Such a large earthquake at such a shallow depth — 24.4 kilometers (15.2 miles) — creates a lot of energy, said Shenza Chen of the U.S. Geological Survey.” (1)
“The problem is you’re never sure until the waves come in,” he told CNN.… whose country was hit by a 8.8-magnitude quake and ensuingtsunamis that killed
“The powerful earthquake that unleashed a devastating tsunami Friday appears to have moved the main island of Japan by 8 feet (2.4 meters) and shifted the Earth on its axis.
Reports from the National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology in Italy estimated the 8.9-magnitude quake shifted the planet on its axis by nearly 4 inches (10 centimeters).” (2)
- Japan Hit by Massive 8.9 Earthquake and Tsunami (lezgetreal.com)
- Massive quake hits Japan (cnn.com)
- Japan earthquake and tsunami: The moment mother nature engulfed a nation (dailymail.co.uk)
- 8.9 quake strikes Japan, triggers tsunami (selvabalaji.wordpress.com)
- Japan Hit by 8.9 Magnitude Quake (theroot.com)
- Japan hit by catastrophic 8.9 magnitude quake, tsunami in effect (boingboing.net)
- Quake Rattles Northern Japan – Wall Street Journal (news.google.com)